Date:      Thu, 08 Sep 2005 08:57:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Still roaming issues with new dhclient and if_wi

I have a ThinkPad with a Prism2.5 wireless card and use the wi
driver. Since the change to the OpenBSD dhclient I am no longer able to
roam from our conference room to my office. Before the dhclient change,
I would lose association as I walked up two floors and from one end of
the building to the other, associate again in my office (or while
walking down the corridor) and, after a short wait for the bridge to
figure out where my MAC was coming from and update its forwarding
tables, I was up and running including my ssh sessions.

I previously complained that dhclient was exiting when the card lost
association and had to be restarted. That's been fixed (Thanks, Sam),
but the problem is now even more annoying. I now get to my office and
dhclient is still running and the interface is associated, but the
interface no longer has an IP address. It is possible that it would
eventually get one, but I have never been willing to wait for more than
a few minutes. I can "fix" it by killing dhclient and re-starting it. I
get an address (same one I had in the conference room) immediately and
I'm back to normal.

I think the issue is that the SSID changes between my office and the
conference room. lbnl_wlan45 in the conf. room and lbnl_wlan46 in my
office, but if dhclient lives on, why doesn't it request an IP when the
SSID changes or simply exit? If I forget to kick it immediately, I lose
my ssh sessions.

Don't you get tired of hearing that "it used to work with the old
dhclient"? :-)

Any suggestions?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer