Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:53:55 +0100
From:      Massimo Lusetti <massimo@cedoc.mo.it>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC and DEFAULTS

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:36 +0100, Cristiano Deana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen that 'GENERIC' file has been modified, moving some lines to
> 'DEFAULTS':
>
> device          isa
>
> device          mem             # Memory and kernel memory devices
> device          io              # I/O device
>
> Why?
> What does it mean? Should we include 'DEFAULTS' in our customized 'GENERIC'?
> Or those lines are no more mandatory?

DEFAULTS will be included automatically by the new config(8), quoting
from markm@
"Its an anti-foot-shooting thing. Scott was concerned that far too many
people with kernels based on GENERIC before io was made a separate
module were being flummoxed by X not running. This is a way to make
npx, mem and io default for even those kernels, as long as they run a
modern(tm) config(8)."

Look for discussion in cvs-src@.

--
Massimo.run();