Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:16:23 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crash of (proxy) computer

Alex wrote:

> Bill wrote:
> > Alex wrote:
> > > I have seen my computer crash a couple time now. The internet is used
> heavly
> > > (max. 512kb/s for the sum of max. 5 computer) each time. Each time i
> also
> > > have a ssh connection on the intranet. I have a 5x86 cytrix ca 100MHz
> with
> > > 32MB memory. and FreeBSD 4.3. I have no clue on how to solve this.
> >
> > Is it a panic or a freeze?
> > Make sure you have a monitor/keyboard hooked to this thing so you can
> > see panic messages. If it's panicing, the panic messages may be a strong
> > pointer. Could be buggy hardware somewhere.
> >
> > -Bill
> The computer is not resonive at all. I can not ping to it, and the
> screensaver is freezed so i can't see anything. It doesn't responed to the
> keybord to!
> Alex

I'd suspect the network card(s) here. Especially if it's only occurring
under busy network traffic. What kind of NIC are you using, and what
driver?
You may also want to check out some compiled maxs. mbufs could be
suspect, but I wouldn't think running out of mbufs would result in a
freeze. What does netstat -m show?

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?