Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:23:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kristyn Fayette <kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Still can't install from DOS

Hiya,

  Thanks.  And thanks to all the others who also responded.  The problem was
trying to install from a DOS partition and not being able to find any of the
files.

I wrote:
} >   I've created a C:\FREEBSD directory and put all my bin.* and *.flp files
} > there.

Jan replied:
}
} Sorry if I overstate the obvious but the individual files must be
} in their appropriate subdirectories just like they are on wcarchive.

  What tripped me up was this:

>                    INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR FreeBSD 2.0.5
>
> 2.3     Before installing from a DOS partition:
>
> To prepare for installation from an MS-DOS partition you should
> simply copy the files from the distribution into a directory called
> "FREEBSD".  For example, to do a minimal installation of FreeBSD from
> DOS using files copied from the CDROM, you might do something like
> this:
>
>        C:\> MD C:\FREEBSD
>        C:\> XCOPY /S E:\DISTS\BIN C:\FREEBSD
>        C:\> XCOPY /S E:\FLOPPIES C:\FREEBSD

  Well, that xcopy command puts everying into the same directory.  It does
not create a \bin directory.  The correct command should be:

	c:\> xcopy e:\dists\bin c:\freebsd\bin

  The system will reply with:

	Does BIN specify a file name
	or directory name on the target
	(F = file, D = directory)?

  Enter 'd' and c:\freebsd\bin will be created and filled with the files from
e:\dists\bin.  The '/s' parameter isn't needed unless there are subdirectories
off of e:\dists\bin.  i.e., if e:\freebsd\bin\patch\ existed, you'd need the
'/s' parameter.

--
                    -=(*)=-   Kristyn Fayette   -=(*)=-
                           kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu