Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:58:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   matcd on an SB16

I've been following a local Linux mailing list, and a couple of the
users there have been trying FreeBSD ('cos I'm giving a presentation on
it at a Linux user group meeting next month :-)

One of them has an SB16 with a CD-ROM drive.  His attempts at installing
FreeBSD from that CD-ROM have met with abysmal failure:

 $ Next came an install on my Pentium 60 (previously running Caldera-2.2)
 $ -  A total disaster.... no way despite 12 attempts to install, could I
 $ get FreeBSD to actually initialise the sbpcd (freebsd calls it matcdc)
 $ despite changing IO's, entering the manual configuration option etc
 $ etc... it would not & could not, find the cdrom & so I had to abort the
 $ install every time!!

Is the matcd driver known to work on FreeBSD 3.2 ?  If not, does anyone
have any estimate of the amount of effort that'd be required to fix it?

    - mark

Is the matcd driver known to work on FreeBSD 3.2 ?  If not, does anyone
have any estimate of the amount of effort that'd be required to fix it?

    - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999