Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/3996: nmh needs dependecy on autoconfig to work.

The following reply was made to PR ports/3996; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 22:39:26 -0700

 Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:

 > I'd patch the rule out of the Makefile, and make a patch such that you
 > get the same results as if you had run the autoheader yourself.  That
 > is, a patch to the files that autoheader generates.  Heck, if you did
 > that in the right order, you wouldn't need to patch the Makefile at
 > all, since things would be up to date, right?

 I THINK I did that, but I think the problem is that the files get patched fast
 enough that both the input and output files end up with the same update times
 and 'make' interprets that to mean that the output file needs updating...

 I suppose I could add a post-patch target to the port Makefile to touch the
 generated file.  Actually, the patch that I already submitted to bring the
 port up to nmh-0.15 already has such a rule:

 	# Since we patch the autoconf files as well as their outputs, avoid attempt
 	# to regenerate header input files with 'autoheader' by Makefile.
 	post-patch:
 		echo > ${WRKSRC}/stamp-h.in

 but it hasn't been committed yet.  And to be really safe, there should
 probably be a 'sleep 1' at the beginning, but (assuming my guess as to what's
 happening is correct) that ought to reduce the likelihood of needing to run
 autoheader.

 Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                          1700 Westlake Ave N #500
 scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
 Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org