Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:00:15 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB issues with Apollo KT133A mobo

Hi all.
I'm running 5.0-DP2 on a motherboard with the Apollo KT133A chipset.  (I
believe it's an ASUS, but it doesn't seem to be labelled.)  The USB
controller (described by dmesg as a VIA 83C572) periodically blows its brains
out.

More specifically, all USB devices lose power.  The device nodes stay in /dev
and there are no notices to dmesg about the loss until I unplug and replug
them, at which time it says 'port error: restarting port N' where N is
generally 0, depending on which controller it is.  It then redetects my
hardware.

This also happened on 4.5 and above, so it might very well be a hardware
problem on my end.

Since I'm not getting any helpful error messages from my system, my question
is this: what debugging switches, if any, should I turn on to see what's
going on?  Are there any known issues with this controller?  Should I just
sup to -current?

Thanks!

-Cliff L. Biffle