Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:59:26 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New or used laptop recommendation(s)

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:

Eric> I've used many Dells (and a Sony or two), and I can say that I'm
Eric> very happy with the Dells.  They are fairly durable, almost
Eric> completely supported (resuming is broken, and some of the newer
Eric> high definition audio isn't yet supported, but pretty much
Eric> everything else is ok).  I currently have a Latitude D820 (with
Eric> the wuxga screen), and it's awesome.

I upgraded from the D800 to the XPS.  Both had WUXGA, but the XPS has
a 17" screen.

I was quite happy with both --- although I miss the dual battery
support of the D-series.  I always go for the
next-day-onsite-no-questions-asked warrenty.  I'm hard on laptops.
I'm not sure that Dell makes money on me :).

Resume is perenially broken, but the laptops are otherwize well
supported.  They're shipping iwi-chipset a/b/g now (the D800 came with
broadcom that I replaced with atheros).

I've know several people, tho, that have had horrible experiences with
low-priced Dell products.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can be          |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |