Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:02:33 -0500
From:      Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Holger Weisbrodt <Holger.Weisbrodt@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X server setup after upgrading 3.4 to 4.0

> Xwrapper: no modules loaded for 'xserver' service.
> Authentication failed - cannot start xserver.
> Perhaps you do not have console owneship.

XFree86 4.X uses a single X server executable which loads different
modules depending on your graphics card.  This is unlike 3.X which
used different X server executables for different cards.

> Is there a change in the X setup
> from Release 3.4 to 4.0?

The configuration file for 4.X is completely different.  You are going
to have to run ``xf86config'' and set X up from scratch (it isn't too
bad).  There might be a graphical utility by now, but I'm not sure.

--
Sincerely,
Caleb Land