Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 09:32:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Steve Khoo <steve@gordian.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world with pgcc-2.7.2.6 possible?

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Steve Khoo wrote:

>     Chuck> On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Steve Khoo wrote:
>
>     >> Is it possible to make world with pgcc-2.7.2.6, or is this
>     >> still broken?
>
>     Chuck> This seems kinda strange to me.  I don't think something is
>     Chuck> broken unless it worked (or was supposed to) at some time.
>     Chuck> pgcc, except for some isolated folks that have hacked it in
>     Chuck> on their own systems, has never been integrated into
>
> Hmmm...  I guess I was mistaken in my believe that someone out there
> had successfully done a make world and built the kernel with pgcc
> after some minor patches.  I thought the patches were incorporated
> into the pgcc-2.7.2.6 port.

Like I said, this HAS been done, but only by folks on their individual
machines, not on -current.  You realize, I hope, that not everyone HAS a P6?

>     Chuck> current.  Whether or not to do this is still a matter of
>     Chuck> discussion ... maybe you want to register another opinion?
>
> No strong opinion on that.   Maybe we should just got to a P6
> optimized compiler.  ;^>
>
>     Chuck> Although I think something like that actually belongs on
>     Chuck> FreeBSD-chat.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.