Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 08:50:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        kris@hub.freebsd.org (Kris Kennaway), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reaping fortran cruft

Steve Kargl writes:
 > Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > > On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Steve Kargl wrote:
 > >
 > > > I was going to fix fsplit.  Yes, I program in Fortran (note the
 > > > proper spelling of Fortran).  No, I don't use fsplit.
 > >
 > > A rewrite is certainly desperately needed :)
 > >
 > > > We might also want to remove fpr(1).
 > >
 > > Noted. Are there any other crufty Fortran candidates you can do without?
 >
 > No. I haven't found any other programs.
 >
 > > If no-one disagrees with this, I'll move them both to ports (probably in a
 > > combined fortran-utils port) in a couple of days. Would you like to be the
 > > maintainer? :)
 >
 > The dates in fsplit suggest that it hasn't seen any development
 > since 1983.  The functionality it provided then can be accomplished
 > with vi and cp.

Yes, and one can do text editing with cat and sed.  Fsplit has
its place, as does fpr.  Please keep them as ports rather than
nuke them completely.  Being in the attic is substantially more
difficult for casual *BSD users than being available as a port.
I wholeheartedly endorse a fortran-utils port.

 > I haven't looked at fpr, but you can get fancy program listings
 > with a2ps (and probably apsfilter) which is (are) already in the
 > ports collections.

Yes, but as a shell script it is easier to teach apsfilter about
Fortran if fpr is available to do the heavy lifting.  That is
easier than hacking a2ps.  I do not find any mention of Fortran
knowledge in the man page for the version of a2ps-letter I
installed on this workstation about 6 weeks ago. (I used the
port.)

Sorry.  I'm all in favor of this bike shed but disagree with the
suggested paint color.

 > I say kill them (of course asbestos under garments might be needed).
 > It should be noted that cvs will maintain a copy of both in the attic,
 > so anyone who wants the source can get it.
 >
 > --
 > Steve

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790