Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:41:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On a "genuine Intel" pentium (not pentium pro)
> execution of the following sequence, 0xf0 0x0f 0xc7 0xc8

This disassembled into a "lock cmpxchg8b %eax", according to gdb.

I sent a note to Robert Collins, who is the x86.org guy who pops up in the
news periodically when Intel tries to hassle him.  He says:

	Actually, I've known about it for a few months.  I verified
	it back then.  It's a real bug.  The bug occurs when you
	do two illegal things at once:
	1) use the invalid opcode cmpxchg8b EAX
	2) put a lock prefix on a non-read/modify/write instruction.

	Both conditions are already illegal.  However instead of
	generating an invalid opcode exception, the processor locks
	up.

Based on a later message on the list I just saw, it looks like Intel cleared
this up in newer versions of the processor.