Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:22:52 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!  Tape drive resets the server!

I have a Seagate DDS-4 tape drive:

sa0 at sym0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
sa0: <SEAGATE DAT    9SP40-000 912L> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-3 device
sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16, 16bit)

It's attached to a Tekram DC390F SCSI card:

sym0: <875> port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem 0xe9004000-0xe90040ff,0xe9006000-0xe9006fff
irq 20 at device 0.0 on pci7
sym0: Tekram NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
sym0: [ITHREAD]

Occasionally, whenever I open sa0 for reading (typically when Amanda starts
flushing backups to tape), the system resets.  I don't mean that the kernel
panics or anything; I mean that within a second or two I'm looking at a POST
screen.  I'd been having this problem for a while, but recently upgraded
literally every other piece of hardware on the system.  The card and drive
were the *only* components carried over to the new system, and I even swapped
out the card for a duplicate I had stored away.

Is it possible that the drive itself is triggering the reset?  I'd find that a
little unlikely, but am certainly not an expert on the matter.  Alternatively,
has anyone had that sort of problem with drives attached to that card?
--
Kirk Strauser