Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 23:11:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        michael@memra.com (Michael Dillon)
Cc:        joel@quicklink.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation Needed for server setup

> full news feeds demand a Pentium, other stuff works fine on a 486.

I'm running a full newsfeed on a 486/66 and it's mostly idle.  It's the
disk speed that makes the most difference.  I would probably benefit from
upgrading to something I could put more memory in, particularly during
expires.  If I had dozens or hundreds of clients, that would be required,
and a bigger cpu too, probably.

> There is only one email program for ISP's, namely sendmail.

Unless you're concerned about security, then you run smail :-)

> Learn to build your own tools using PERL,
> it's a swiss-army knife.

Absolutely critical!

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.