Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:01:15 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Emmanuel Rens <rens.emmanuel@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, behanna@zbzoom.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem in upgrading to latest pkgs

--==_Exmh_-1139485302P

If memory serves me right, Emmanuel Rens wrote:
> actually it seems that some important files have even been deleted, for
> example there is no xvinfo anymore (this is typically a file you can't
> get anywhere except from the whole XFree pkg). So you are right I should
> start it over: but how? the base system seems to work well , I don't
> quite see myself remaking the world right now, and I have many config
> files I'd like to keep. How could I get rid of all packages and ports
> without touching the system and still be able to cvsup the ports after?

It sounds like your base system is intact, so you should leave it alone.
You should not blindly follow these instructions, but I'd recommend
doing something like this:

1.  Make backups of /usr/X11R6/etc and /usr/local/etc.  Most of the
configuration files for your ports live in there.

2.  Use "pkg_delete -f" to force-delete all of your installed ports.

3.  Look around in /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local to see if there's anything
you missed.  You shouldn't have much left there except for your ports'
configuration files.

4.  Reinstall (from ports or packages) whatever you need.  If
necessary, use your configuration file backups to get things the way
you want.

5.  When you get things all put back, make a backup of your system, so
you'll have something to fall back on if you get in trouble again.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1139485302P

--==_Exmh_-1139485302P--