Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 02:55:34 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connection problem: FreeBSD Computer does not respond

Alfred Perlstein schrieb:

> * Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de> [000404 17:41] wrote:
> >

> > Alfred Perlstein schrieb:

> > > I would try upgrading to 3-stable, see:
> > >   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html
> > I think my 3.4-stable is the most current version?
>
> No, if you've installed from CDrom then you have 3.4-RELEASE, some time
> has passed since the release and various fixes have been put into the
> source since then, read the URL i sent you and do the upgrade, it may
> help.

Ok. I'm just downloading ftp://.../FreeBSD-STABLE/src/sys.tar.gz
I hope it will work :-)

> > > In the future it's much more helpful if you can include such
> > > information as which ethernet card you're using and perhaps
> > > what other system components you have installed as well as
> > > the motherboard type.
> >
> > The system is an i486DX2-66,
> > HiNT motherboard (EISA), Y2K compliant
> > 32MB RAM (8x4MB)
> > eth0 => vx0 => 3c597 (3Com Fast-Etherlink III - EISA)
>
> it looks like guido@freebsd.org is the writer/maintainer of the driver,
> you may want to toss him an mail directly and describe the problem.

I don't think that it's a problem with the ethernet card, because the
computer
seems to receive the packets. I will try an tcpdump to check, but I'm
sure... :-)

> > disk-controller: AHA-2742AT (twin-channel aic7xxx compatible with floppy
> > port)
> > two scsi-disks (both id0, on different channels)
> > yamaha cdr-200 on id 1, channel B (primary)
> > Spea-V7 1MB VL vga card
> > 8-bit I/O-card for mouse
> >

> Lastly, are you sure you don't have some sort of power-management
> or APM on?  I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but 30 minutes seems
> to be a nice round number for APM/power-management.

As sure as I could be. I didn't tried to setup the computer with
the dos-based AMI-SETUP program, so that I don't have seen all options,
but in the official parts I didn't recognize sth. about APM.
Therefore, the computer answers all packets, if I run a ping fw
(firewall
machine in LAN) on it.
The only problem is after boot (it starts not to answering before I've
send
a packet out)
And it seems I've lied - now my ping on it runs for 2 hours and runs
again.
But last time, I was for 2 weeks in holiday, I've runned a ping and this
ping
stops getting answers after ca. 9000 send packets. (ca. 4 hours)

> --
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
> "I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

Ciao
--
Jens Rehsack --- <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de>
                 http://www.informatik.uni-halle.de/~rehsack/