Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:57:49 +0100
From:      Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de>
To:        Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Subject:   Re: snd_hda multichannel support added

Wes Morgan wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On a vaguely related note: Is there anything anywhere in the open
> > source world that real-time encodes multi-channel audio into AC3
> > or DTS so that it can be squeezed through an S/PDIF link?
>
> ffmpeg?

I don't think the tool can be made to work in real time.

ALSA's a52 plugin uses ffmpeg's libavcodec to convert 6-channel PCM to
AC-3.  It works more or less transparently for ALSA applications; it
would not be easy to convert it to an API that does not have support for
userspace plugins.

Best regards,
Clemens