Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:16:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Derek Flowers <djflow@portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binary package updates, etc.

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > What is a minimum size I can expect for the /tmp directory?  The biggest
> > distribution tar file is 17MB (the bin distribution, haven't tried the
> > srcs yet).
>
> The *minimum* size?  Probably about 5-6MB of free space.  It's not
> rare at all to see the emacs package blow up because of this, though I
> do search around for additional space if I can find it (e.g. /var/tmp
> or /usr/tmp are used in preference if I can find the space there).
>
> > If I'm not mistaken, ``@option extract-in-place'' will just extract the
> > package tar file in whatever the current directory (as set by @cwd) is.
> > The current way the package is set up, this will place a 17MB bin.tgz
> > along with the md5sum file in that directory.  pkg_add will not remove
> > these files, correct?
>
> It will not, no.  Not in the extract-in-place scenario.
>
> 						Jordan

After reading over the manual pages for pkg_add, I discovered that the
package is placed in a "staging area" created by mktemp and defaults to
"/var/tmp/instmp.XXXXX".

What I was reffering to above is that the package contains two files
bin.tgz and md5sum along with the comment, description, and install
script.  The packing list containted the following:

	@name bin-2.2.5_RELEASE.tgz
	@cwd /
	@ignore_inst
	bin.tgz
	@ignore_inst
	md5sum

So you see, the pkg_add will not install anything.  The install script is
doing all the work.

All this is naught because I redid my thinking and rewrote the skeleton to
create a normal package.

But now I am having some problems and was wondering if they were bugs.
Apparently, pkg_create was having some problems with the bin distribution.
It would work great until hitting the dev directory.  Without including
the dev directory in the packing list, pkg_create worked fine.  It also
worked find for all the other distributions.  I figured that I could
remove the dev entries in the packing list except MAKEDEV and
MAKEDEV.local and just run "MAKEDEV all" from the POST-INSTALL section of
the installation script.

I also tried using the "@option extract-in-place" and found that pkg_add
ignores any "@cwd" directives during installation.  Is this normal?  Here
is a copy of the packing list:

@option extract-in-place
@cwd /tmp/test
@srcdir /tmp/games/pkg
usr/games/hide/adventure
usr/games/hide/arithmetic
usr/games/hide/atc
usr/games/hide/backgammon
usr/games/hide/teachgammon
usr/games/hide/battlestar
usr/games/hide/bcd
usr/games/hide/boggle
usr/games/hide/canfield

<snip>

>From this, the files should end up in the /tmp/test directory but instead
end up off the / directory.  Without the extract-in-place option, they end
up where they belong.  Even overiding the base directory with pkg_add
proved futile.

Anyway, as of right now, I have packaged versions of all the distributions
for 2.2.5-RELEASE and as soon as I get a chance, I'll test them on a junk
machine.

Derek Flowers
djflow@erols.com
http://portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us/~djflow