Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:37:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        robert42@swbell.net
Subject:   Re: Unable to get IP address of own host during CVSup

In article <00080315210102.01468@Praetorian>, Robert L. Bostic
<robert42@swbell.net> wrote:

> I am attempting to cvsup over a dial-up connection. I get the
> following error message:
>
> > Praetorian# cvsup stable-supfile Cannot get IP address of my own
> > host -- is its hostname correct?
>
> I know I can't be the first to encounter this problem. How can I
> correct this?

It means that the hostname which you gave your system (i.e.,
the output of the "hostname" command) doesn't have a valid DNS
entry.  You can find more information in the CVSup FAQ, which is
at <http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html>.  See
question 30 (currently it's 30, anyway) "The CVSup client dies with a
segmentation violation when I try to use the GUI."  (Yes, I know the
question doesn't sound like it applies, but it's basically the same
problem.)

One easy way to work around this problem is to turn off the GUI with
the "-g" option.  The next release of CVSup (hopefully available
before the summer is over) will try to be more tolerant of botched
DNS setups.

John