Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:02:33 GMT
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.com>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

> I'd hardly expect to hear anything different on a FreeBSD advocacy list.
> There are lots of people at Microsoft who say _exactly_ the same thing about
> UNIX as a server ("it would take me several times as long to get things done
> if I had to use UNIX" or "UNIX is a toy compared to Windows 2000").

That doesn't necesarrily necesarily make the comments any less valid.
"people at microsoft" are paid to work there.
"people on freebsd-advocacy" are there because of their experience with
FreeBSD

> Part of rational advocacy is recognizing the strengths AND the weaknesses of
> one's favored OS.

Yes, of course. And, I didn't say that FreeBSD on the desktop is for everyone.
I know some people who I'd never recommend anything other than windows at
the moment (people who tweak with downloading some stuff but have no real
technical knowledge)

Also, people like my dad who know EVEN LESS I recommend FreeBSD - that I set
up - he gets his email, reads web sites, and doesn't keep accidently deleting
icons and screwing things up, requiring my help, like he did with win98 !

>                    UNIX is a usually a poor choice for the desktop, and
> Windows is often a poor choice for a server.  It's important for objective
> parties to remain wary of anyone who claims that a single operating system
> can do everything better than any other OS.

But in the post I responded to, you didn't use "usually" - and whilst I may
still debate "usually", it's not as cut and dry as when you wrote:

 | Conversely, though, converting from Windows to UNIX on the desktop is just
 | as absurd as doing the opposite on the server, and the fact that many people

Such an extreme statement is not "rational advocacy" in my opinion.

Cheers,
Jamie