Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 12:19:10 +0200
From:      Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        Sparky <mark@itsunix.uwc.ac.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backups

--------------A9A8C6C0131A9195A3C9C246

Sparky wrote:

> Hello....
>
> Can anyone help me?
> I want to do backups of 4 machines to a backup server ( all running
> Unix )
>
> machine 1     LINUX REDHAT 6
> machine 2    SOLARIS 2.6
> machine 3    FREEBSD
> machine 4    LINUX REDHAT 6
> backup           FREEBSD
>
> The idea is to use the crontab daemon to scp the machines necessary
> files to the backup server,
> and then for the backup server to....well of course back them up.
>
> The first question is :
>
> 1)    Is this way correct.
> 2)    How do I get the backup to accecpt scp connections without a
> password from only those               machines.
> 3)    How to set up the crontab file on the machines to perform the
> sending tasks.
>
> I have tried to edit the sshd config files....but no luck.
> I have also tried some tests with crontab file ..... no luck.
>
> Note:     You might wonder why I am asking these questions......well
> actually I am new to UNIX aprox   4 weeks. So all the advice would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Mark
> Mark@itsunix.uwc.ac.za

Firstly, dont edit the crontab file, it wont be reloaded, use 'crontab
-e' to insert your new cron.
Secondly, you can generate a a key with ssh for each maschine, this key
is then put on the backup server to which you are going to scp, OR just
edit the /etv/sshd.conf file to allow the specific i.p's of the
maschines you want to backup.

Greetings, Johan Kruger
--------------A9A8C6C0131A9195A3C9C246

begin:vcard
n:Kruger;Johan
tel;cell:+27 83 3015923
tel;fax:+27 12 6651343
tel;home:+27 83 3015923
tel;work:+27 12 6651338
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Nanoteq;Development
version:2.1
email;internet:jkruger@oskar.nanoteq.co.za
title:Mr
adr;quoted-printable:;;P.O BOX 12872=0D=0AOnderstepoort=0D=0A0110=0D=0ASouth Africa;Pretoria;Gauteng;0110;South Africa
x-mozilla-cpt:;1920
fn:Johan Kruger
end:vcard