Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:43:42 -0800
From:      "Kent Ketell" <kketell@juniper.net>
To:        "Karl Pielorz" <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RAID Controllers Supported?

The issue for us is more of notification in case of a failure.  The DPT
solution does not appear to provide this at all, other than the alarm.
I was hoping for some form of syslog activity, but my testing did not
produce a single syslog entry post boot.

I setup two raids on a single controller; one called apples (Raid-1) and
the other called oranges (Raid-5).  I setup the system with a single
hot-spare.

I started a really large cvs checkout onto the raid-5 filesystem and yanked
one of the drives.  The hot-spare came into play perfectly, but there was no
indication at the operating system level that anything untoward had
happened.
This is not good.

Does anyone have a pointer to make the syslog work, or should I look
elsewhere
for my Raid solutions?

-Kent-