Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:39:38 -0800
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Frank Behrens <frank@ilse.behrens.de>, Jeff Roberson <jeff@FreeBSD.org>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The machdep.hyperthreading_allowed & ULE weirdness in 7.1

Robert Watson wrote:
> In the mean time, it sounds like the sysctl does need to be
> reimplemented or removed, but one question is how far to take it --
> caches are shared to varying degrees at varying levels of the topology.
> However, I believe the recommendation has generally moved to disabling
> hyperthreading using the BIOS, as that uses the vendor's notion of
> hyperthreading.  The idea of changing the setting at run-time is
> currently untenable because we don't have the OS infrastructure to take
> CPUs out of service, although growing it would be useful in order to
> support virtual machine dynamic CPU reconfiguration.

Well, as far as I know, what SCHED_4BSD does is simply stopping
scheduling threads to the logical core(s). One doesn't need
infrastructure to take CPU off-line for doing the same in SCHED_ULE.

Unfortunately access to BIOS is not always an option and also some
BIOSes don't even provide a feature to turn HTT off.

-Maxim