Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:50:02 -0100
From:      Milton Moura <miltonmoura@mail.telepac.pt>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3com 3c509B trouble

Hi!

I've recently installed a 3com 3c509B Combo NIC on my FreeBSD box running
4.0-RELEASE and it was recognized upon startup but the LED did not light up
and I couldn't ping the other host on my LAN.

I searched this list's archive and found several other posts discribing
similar problems and followed the instructions on some of them. I got the
3c5x9cfg.exe utility, disabled the PNP option and the card was set to port
0x300, irq 10. Now, when I boot FBSD, it shows:

ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready
..
ep0: Ethernet adress 00:00:00:00:00

which was the same as some of the errors described on other posts.
As soon as I run ifconfig ep0 192.168.0.2, it hangs the machine.

I then changed the IRQ from the setup program to all the others available,
one by one, and it would either return this same error or this other one:

ep0: no irq !?
ep0: ep_alloc() failed! (6)
device_probe_and_attach: ep0 attach returned 6

at last, I tried these same steps, but changing the port to 0x210, which
resulted in FBSD successfully detect the NIC on startup but the LED would
light off as soon as the message from ep0 appears.

I still cannot ping the other host on my network :)

Those people who have had these same problems... How was it solved?

Thank you in advance...

-
Milton Moura