Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:36:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 3.0 was not meant to be evangelised.  Read the release materials.
>
> Yes, just to clarify this, we were indeed very much worried about the
> stability of 3.0 and were more concerned about compromising our
> reputation for robust behavior than we were about getting PR for 3.0.

Once 3.1-stable comes along in a month, is it presumably now considered
mature/stable enough to start shouting that fact from the rooftops.. Most
people have short memories; they're probably not likely to notice if we just
focus on the features of 3.1, and add something like "FreeBSD 3.1 is the
newest release along the 3.x branch. New features in FreeBSD 3 include [...]"
and basically use all the feature-hype which would have gone out in the 3.0
press releases.

FWIW, I agree with the somewhat low-key release of 3.0 - as it turns out there
probably weren't any show-stopping problems, but it could have turned into a
real PR disaster for us (if you take a chance on something, perhaps by
convincing your pointy-haired boss that it's a good thing, and it royally
screws up on you, well, you're not likely to go back, are you? :)

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.