Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:20:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      sanjeev singh <remraf@hobbiton.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd limiting download speed?

 Hello,

 I recently set up an ipfw+natd machine (FreeBSD 3.5.1R) for sharing my =
 cable connection.  Unfortunately, natd appears to be limiting the =
 maximum bandwidth available!

 Using netperf, I have established that I can get up to just under 4mbps =
 with natd enabled, and 4.3mbps with it disabled.  This might not look =
 like a big deal, except that in the former case, my CPU is fully loaded =
 whereas in the latter it's only at 50%!

 Also, when testing high speed downloads (from netscape.com), I get the =
 following results:
 Download speed: ~350+KB/s
 CPU States: 50-60% system, ~35% interrupt and <10% idle
 natd takes up 80% of WCPU and CPU

 My firewall machine is a 486/66 (32MB Ram) with an NE2K and a Dec DE =
 201.  Are these results in the ballpark or could I have configured =
 something wrong?

 If these results are in the ballpark, what can I do to improve the =
 situation (short of upgrading my firewall machine)?  Is there a more =
 CPU-efficient version of natd available?  Should I try ipfilter/ipnat?

 Regards,
 Sanjeev Singh