Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:07:20 -0300
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS Server vs SGI Client

Hi,

    I've been trying to install a FreeBSD 4.3 NIS server for a while,
but the ypserv daemon always died with SEGV seconds after starting.
After some analysis I found the problem is related to SGI Workstation
NIS clients (IRIX 6.5).  The interesting point is that the old FreeBSD
3.2 NIS server did not have this problem!

    I tried to find the source of the problem, but RPC programming is
not a skill I have.  Anyway, I managed to make ypserv work running the
ypserv binary from 3.5.1-RELEASE distribution.  I also tried ypserv
binaries from 4.1.1 and 4.2, with only core dumps as a result.

    The problem is probably ay libc, since ypsrev-3.5.1 runs with
/usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3, and I did not find any big diferences in
the ypserv sources between RELENG_3 and RELENG_4.

    If somebody wants to study this deeper, I could send the coredumps
from ypserv-4.1.1 and ypserv-4.2.  I may not promise a deeper testing,
as the lab with this setup is not at my job.

    Cheers,

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br