Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 11:08:49 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        tcarp@cs.pdx.edu, eric@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   re nfs mount to solaris box: possible answer

Re my question yesterday about having an nfs mount hang
from freebsd 2.1 to solaris.  It clearly has nothing to
do with the particular device card, since the card in question
is a PCI smc 100mbit card on a p-90 computer and we are talking
about reacting in time to an NFS ACK which is not exactly a big
packet.  I'm not sure that my answer is IT, but it works and scarier,
might make sense, not sure.

To refresh the collective consciousness, I would do a
	# mount -o -P solarisbox:/somewhere /here
and the mount would succeed, but then a
	# cd /here
would hang.  tcpdump showed that freebsd was getting the NFS ack
from the solaris box back ok, but was for some reason rejecting
it with a icmp port unreachable error.  SO, I tried:
	# mount -o -cP solarisbox: etc ...
The man page for mount_nfs says that -c means: "for UDP mount points,
do not do a connect(2), This must be used for servers that do not
reply to requests from the standard port number".

Now to see if this will actually work reliably enough that I can
put it in /etc/fstab and is not just a matter of timing.

				regards
				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu