Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:45:53 -0500
From:      Richard Olson <rolson@ns.awanet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tip - lock open:

I am attempting to teach myself UNIX. You get what you pay for!

Read all docs I could find and understand.

Problem: when I try to run 'tip hayes' I get msg:
	 "lock open: no such file or directory
	 all ports busy".

Pre problem:
I used 'tip' from /root successfully and connected to my ISP.
I tried to use tip from 2nd virtual console and receive above msg.

Post problem:
I tried again from /root and again msg.

Attempted corrective actions:
Rebooted, again rcvd msg. on  /root /rolson
Checked owner.group and /dev/ttyd1,cuaa*1 files.
Checked other files as indicated in FAQ/Handbook/manpages.
Checked all docs, including 386 FAQ part 8, did what it said.
Searched "mailing list archives"
Followed suggestions, no luck.
Searched all usergroups, followed suggestions, no luck.
I continue to get msg from /root and other virtual consoles.

"I want my ISP"

Thanks for any help.

Looks like re-install o/s time!

Dick Olson