Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:04:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Public FreeBSD lists vs. spammers and our private email addresses

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Rob wrote:

> I think spamfilters are doing already a good job here; spam that makes
> it through to the lists, seems to be fairly small. In addition, I
> believe it's the policy of the list maintainers, to keep the thresshold
> as low as possible for participation in the Q&A. You can avoid
> subscription by following the newsgroup instead (e.g. on gmane).

So it's already filtered?  OK, I guess I'll stay :-)

> However, there's a more serious problem: all emails to the FreeBSD lists
> are propagated to public newsgroups and archives with the original
> (private) email addresses unmodified. Since the newsgroups and archives
> are public, it's a great source of email addresses for spammers.

That is indeed a *huge* problem, and should be addressed.

> Especially innocent people, who just want to ask a question, will
> suffer, since they may realize too late (if not even never realizing at
> all!) that the lists are actually advertising their private email
> addresses on the public newsgroups and archives.

And these are the ones who will tell their friends: "I tried FreeBSD, and
since then I've got all this spam!"

Not good for the cause.  And in case anyone's wondering, I block by
source, not by content.

> It would be much better if propagation to the newsgroups and archives
> would scramble the private email addresses, to make such lists unusable
> for collectors of email addresses for sending spam.

Trivial to do; just replace "@" with something that a machine cannot
easily parse.

-- Dave