Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mef@cs.washington.edu
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots 'o PCI slots

   From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
   Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:22:46 -0700 (MST)

   Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com> has got the i960 probed and
   attached, and was last seen asking after gcc for the i960 (GCC
   does support the i960, in case you were wondering).

   So I kind of doubt it will take "a year or two".  ;-).

It all depends on what Vinay plans to do with the i960 processor.  If
he intends to communicate to it via the I2O message protocol, then I
doubt that FreeBSD will be able to publically distribute that source
code for at least another year.  That is, for some stupid reason the
I2O stuff is not in the public domain and there are (ahem) legal
restrictions that are supposed to prevent one from reverse engineering
it.

To become an I2O member you have to play a pretty penny ($2000).  For
$250 you can get an evaluation copy of the I2O specification, which
runs out after 90days.  However, you are not supposed to be developing
I2O software without being a member.  This makes it kinda hard to
distribute any of that work to none I2O members. :(

Marc