Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:26:41 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance evaluation of JIT compilers

[I've posted this to Java-Linux ML, also.
 But many of BSD Java folks will be interested, so I'm writing.]

Hi folks,

I've measured performance of JIT compilers which work on Linux.
If you're interested in, please see
  http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/

Evaluated runtime systems are IBM JITC (in IBM JDK 1.3 and 1.1.8),
HotSpot Client and Server VM in Sun JDK 1.3, JIT v3 in Kaffe 1.0.6,
JBuilder Java 2 JIT by Inprise, OpenJIT 1.1.14, TYA 1.7v2, shuJIT 0.6.7
and an interpreter included in Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 FCS.

I applied the following benchmark programs to above JITs
and an interpreter:

  * SPEC JVM98
  * SciMark 2.0
  * Linpack benchmark
  * Eratosthenes Sieve

References to these benchmarks and brief descriptions are
available in the web page.

Please keep in mind that these are only benchmarks and
limited kinds of existing applications. A benchmark
program can expose one surface of the runtime system.

The SPEC JVM98 is a benchmark suite composed by real
applications, so it can be a realistic good
benchmark. But still the final composed score shown as
`Geometric Mean' is affected very much by the composing
method. The current composing method depends on the
reference times (ex. 425 secs for javac).
If the reference times are changed from the current values,
the final scores also vary.

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.