Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2012 02:25:27 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports problem with portupgrade(pkgng)

--V4b9U9vrdWczvw78

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 09:39:02PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 23/12/2012 21:05, Beach Geek wrote:
> > And as I understand,  poudriere must be used instead of portupgrade to
> > create packages?
>=20
> That's not right.
>=20
>    poudriere is an offline pkg building system, designed to build
>    packages in a sandbox, and then create a pkgng repository accessible
>    to various client machines.  You can use it locally to maintain a
>    single machine, but that's sort of missing the point. It only works
>    with pkgng, although I believe you can run it on a non-pkgng machine
>    to create a repo for maintaining other pkgng-enabled machines.

Last part is not entirely true, poudriere can work work both pkgng and
pkg_install it is not pkgng only. yes it can run on a non-pkgng machine, bu=
t it
still needs pkgng to be install on the host (installed not necessary used).=
 and
it can work on a pkgng machine to build pkg_install packages without the ne=
ed of
the pkg_install tools on the host.

It can also be used to maintain a single machine, by creating the repositor=
y of
packages and once done you can simply install/upgrade them using pkgng. It =
is
very convenient, and easy to do, because it is fast (poudriere is heavily
parallelized) it allows the users to really upgrade things when they all su=
cceed
at building, meaning your system is always safe. It allows you to allows be=
 png
or pcre upgrade proof, because such upgrade will be detected by poudriere
without the need of a bump in portrevision. If the user end up with a missi=
ng
libpcre.so.1 a simple pkg install -fR pcre will fix the situation almost
immediatly.

>=20
>    portmaster and portupgrade cover basically the same territory.
>    They're designed to maintain the locally installed package set on a
>    machine.  To that end, both of them are wrappers around the ports,
>    and facilitate installing packages by compiling the relevant port
>    source code.  The can also use binary packages, typically from a
>    FreeBSD ftp server.  Initially they used pkg_tools packages, but
>    both have been modified to work with pkgng packages as well.
>=20
>    pkgng is a package registry application and a binary package
>    manager.  It doesn't understand the ports.  However, if you have
>    access to a suitable source of pre-compiled packages you can use
>    just pkgng to manage those, and have no need for portmaster or
>    portupgrade.  poudriere is intended to provide that 'suitable
>    source.' although once the official pkg build cluster gets up and
>    running, users should be able to use that instead.
>=20
> 	Cheers.
>=20
> 	Matthew