Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:04:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Ingber <ingber@worldbank.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help: fsck: cannot find inode...

After having my freebsd 4.0-current machine reboot on me for no apparent
reason, one of my data disks (the one without backups, of course) cannot
be cleaned up using fsck.

When running it via "fsck -y", during Phase 1, I get many (repeatedly) at
various "I's":

	3355447 DUP I=1734
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

and always end up getting:

	** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
	** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
	UNREF DIR  I=333312  OWNER=ingber MODE=40755
	SIZE=512 MTIME=Jul 21 18:20 1999
	RECONNECT? yes

	NO lost+found DIRECTORY
	CREATE? yes

	DIR I=333312 CONNECTED. PARENT WAS I=2

	fsck: cannot find inode 15872

at which point it stops. I've tried it running it many times, always
with the same result. When I try to "mount -r" the filesystem, it still
tells me that there's a lot of used space, even though when looking into
it (ls), it shows it as empty.

Any hopes for this disk?

Thanks for any help,

-daniel ingber
ingber@worldbank.org

PS: Please respond to my account as well, since I don't subscribe to the
list.