Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 13:41:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@fishbone.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Boot problem with new FreeBSD install

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Michelle Brownsworth wrote:

> In preparation for installing FreeBSD, I bought a new Western Digital
> 1.6 GB drive.  It was to have one 528K DOS partition and the remaining
> 1+ GB was to be allocated to FreeBSD.  Since I have an IDE CD drive that
> is unsupported, I XCOPIED the dists to the DOS partition's FreeBSD
> directory, and did a FreeBSD install from DOS.  I opted to have the
> BootEasy boot manager installed in the boot blocks so I could boot
> either DOS or FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, I had an older non-translating
> BIOS that was limited to 1024 cylinders (528K) without employing yet
> another boot manager that would trick the BIOS.  So, I bit the bullet
> and upgraded to a translating BIOS.

I'm going to drag this around for ref...

Good choice on the BIOS upgrade.  I detest the MBR translators.

> After it was installed, I booted
> the computer for the first time, got the BootEasy menu, and chose F2
> (FreeBSD).  But instead of booting FreeBSD, the menu kept reappearing
> with F? as the default.

This is why I don't like booteasy: it did this to me.

I remember hearing the solution is to set your FreeBSD partition as
"active" on the second disk, using FDISK.  Someone correct me, please.

Hope this helps.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant