Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 23:19:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeffry S. Komala" <jkomala@pioneer.bawel.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Page fault caused by Pine 3.91

Hi

I have just added more memory and switched network card.
Now, Pine often caused Page Fault while there are a lot of free memory.
Error message: Page fault while in kernel mode
               Supervisor write, while page not present?
Unfortunately, I don't remember the whole lines, since I was always away
from the server while it crashed repeatedly.

My hardware configuration now:
Pentium-100 with Taiwanese motherboard with Triton chipsets, 64MB RAM
(two 32MB 72pin 60ns no parity Hitachi chips), Adaptec 2940 PCI, 4.3GB
hard drive, Toshiba 2x SCSI-CDROM, Accton Combo ISA Ethernet card
(IRQ 5, Base I/O 0x280, RAM basemem can't be determined).

Before my system had 32MB RAM (two 16MB 72pin 60ns no parity) and Intel
EtherExpress 16 which kept causing device ix0 timeout error.

When my system was still using the EtherExpress 16 with 32MB of RAM, Pine
never caused the system to crash.

Page fault started happening once I installed the new memory, new
network card, and recompiled the kernel to incorporate the new ethernet
card. The memory tested good running on a Win95 machine, using Intel
Zappa, for a few days.

At this point, these are what I think might be causing the problem:
1. Memory has timing problem running on the motherboard used on the server.
2. The Accton ethernet card is another suspect since the software setup
   would not let me specify a specific address for the base RAM.

If it is hardware related though, I wonder why only Pine causes page fault?

Thanks for any help to solve this problem.