Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:35:44 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DD copy is too slow

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 06:37:31PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> Am running FBSD 4.5-RELEASE
>=20
> On one of the servers, am having very slow real dd copy speed vs test and
> don't know why. Below is the test first made that shows 25MB/s but the re=
al
> dd copy is only doing about half the speed. Other servers are matching the
> test. Wonder what is wrong with this machine I/O....??

You've got double the disk I/O happening (read from ad0, write to ad1
_on the same IDE channel_).  It won't be more than half the speed of a
single-way transfer (and in fact is a bit less than half).  You'll
have better performance if you stick the drives on different channels
or controllers.

Kris

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig--