Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:27:17 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, chuckr@eng.umd.edu
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

|>  I don't think that going to such a system means that we have to slavishly
|>  copy their every nuance.  We could easily set something like:
|>
|>  0: single user
|>  1: multiuser
|>  2: network
|>  3: user-custom

The run levels seem have fairly standard meanings - PLEASE stick with
the level definitions as used by Solaris, HP-UX, etc.  There is no
excuse for gratuituous incompatability.

|>  > All those oddly named scripts, links, codes are hard to grok.  More
|>  > often than not, when ``such-n-such is hung,'' I have to
|>  >
|>  > 	find /etc/rc* -type f | xargs grep such-n-such
|>  >
|>  > just to find out the name of the script I'm supposed to use.  And it
|>  > turns out all it did was run ``such-n-such -d'' which I saw with the
|>  > output from `ps', so it would've been faster to just kill it and
|>  > restart it---which I'm leary of since what if I forgot to remove a
|>  > fifo, lock file, or other such debris before doing so?

I haven't seen how HP-UX does this; but it's pretty clean in Solaris 2.4.
The files generally have fairly clear names, and they all live in
/etc/init.d.  The rc* directories only contain symlinks to the file
in init.d, and the symlinks are clearly named.

Once I figured out the basics, this became one of the things I really
like about Solaris as compared with SunOS4.x.

-Pat