Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:27:20 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: printing outside browser cuts off top and bottom of page

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:38:52AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>=20
> If your printer can do PS, you don't need CUPS; lpd does everything.
>=20
> If you just need to convert printing output (which traditionally *is*
> PS) to PCL, you might be interested in using apsfilter. It's a lot
> more lightweight than CUPS, better documented, faster, easier to
> use. I do use it successfully with my HP Laserjet 4000 duplex, which's
> PS is slower than its PCL, so I use PCL. I also think that apsfilter
> keeps better to the tradidion and principles of UNIX, and it integrates
> better with the FreeBSD OS.

Is there much I'd need to know about apsfilter to use it with lpd?  It
seems to just be a filter used to process input and dump output, probably
used in combination with lpr via pipes -- am I wrong about that?  If
that's the case, I'm sure it would be pretty straightforward.

I was not entirely sure before today whether the 4050N could handle
straight PostScript instead of PCL, but the test I performed using nc to
see if it would print properly involved using pdf2ps and no other file
format transformations, so it seems PS is fine in this case.  I'd still
like to understand how to solve the problem I'm having with CUPS, for my
own edification, but whether I use the fix on this laptop in the long run
or end up switching to lpd (with or without apsfilter) is still under
consideration.

--=20

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI--