Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:01:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware Serial Numbers under FreeBSD

Hey all, I'm trying to create an inventory script for systems that will be
loaded via net-boot.  I was wondering if there was any useful way to
obtain the serial number of devices like the hard drives, processor,
and/or motherboard.  (as far as I can guess, those are the only things
likely to store a serial number in a machine-readable format).

I'm scripting in perl, but of course have nothing against making system
calls to get at the low-level stuff.

Please email me, as I'm not subscribed.

-Dan

--

<Belldandy> ha. you have not met me.
<BaldDwarf> ha. but i have sene pictures

-Undernet #reboot, October 2nd, 2000, 3AM