Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:59:51 -0700
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        David Burton <odyseus2000@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: asus recommendation

> why dont you surf on over to the www.asus.com website, poke around a
> little while, see what looks like it would meet your needs.

did that.  and they use all sorts of terms which folk who have not kept up
with mbs and chip sets don't understand, FSB, ServerWorks, AGPset, i820,
RDRAM, ...  which it is not clear freebsd (4.1-stable) supports.

e.g. the p3c-ls (or -s) look close to my needs if i don't want anything
faster than 733mhz, but does freebsd support the i820, the aic7892 (the
handbook says 789x, but i am cautious), ...?

> smd ?

sorry.  smp.  with 700+ cpu, i can live without smp.  i have a dual-300 on
my desk now, and it it getting soggy and hard to light.

>> i have used asus for a long time, so am a bit partial.  this is for a
>> desktop, not the rack.
>>
>> so what is a good high-perf asus that's compatible this season
>>   o atx
>>   o takes decent speed processor(a)
>>   o screaming scsi on board (like the aic7890/91 on the p2b-ds)
>>   o agp
>>
>> optional
>>   o smd optional but kinda like it
>>   o 10/100 onboard optional
>>   o video that XFree likes optional

basically, i am a semi-competent net.geek and sysadmin of a decade or two,
etc., but have never had the time to keep up with all the latest hardwhere
gadgets.  so when it's time to upgrade a limping box, i whine for help.

randy