Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:24:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        daren@sefcik.cc, obrien@NUXI.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low level format--how??

Mike Smith wrote...
> > Thanks..I ended up just pulling my old Atari out of the closet and doing
> > the format on it...that seemed to work and I am now up and running. I
> > would still like to know how to do it under FreeBSD.
>
> If the disk wasn't being probed, then you can't format it, period.

That only applies if the passthrough driver didn't probe it.  The
passthrough driver will attach if the device responds to an inquiry.

My guess is that the pass driver did attach in his case, but the da driver
did not.  I've seen this before with other drives that ended up needing a
low-level format.  In order for the da driver to attach, the read capacity
it does must succeed, or fail with an acceptable "medium not present" type
error code.

> It sounds to me like you managed to screw the disk up, and the process
> of pulling it and reinstalling it in your Atari gave it a chance to
> recover.
>
> Rule 1:  Never change more than one variable at one time.

Good idea.

> The correct answer to "how do you low-level format a SCSI disk under
> FreeBSD" is "if you have to ask, you SHOULD NOT be doing it".  It is
> almost never the right thing to do.

In his case, I think it was.  The "medium format corrupted" error message
can generally be fixed by low-level formatting the disk.

But you're right, low-level formatting the disk is often the wrong
thing to do.

> > Daren
> >

> > On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > > You will get more mileage by discussing this type of thing on
> > > freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org

> > > --
> > > -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Ken