Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:18:38 +0100
From:      "James Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT: ISDN and TCP/IP

I'd appreciate being allowed to tax the accumulated experience and knowledge
with the following question.

My company has a modem pool which accepts incoming calls from both analog
and ISDN modems.  I have a D-Link router behind my ISDN box but no ISDN
modem.  I would like to be able to call the modem pool and connect into our
network.  However it doesn't work with a simple dial-up by the router onto
the network.

Now I know the experts are probably rolling about on the floor laughing at
this point, but I would like to know what it is that prevents this kind of
contact from working, and whether there is a software solution available.

As I see it, ISDN is merely a carrier, just like the analog lines, and I
can't see that an ISDN modem is going to transmit the information by sending
beeps at 900 hz and 1.3 khz, or whatever the frequencies are, as the analog
lines do.  I am assuming that an ISDN modem converts the digital TCP/IP
packets coming from the computer to another digital format for ISDN
transmission, whereupon some part of the modem pool at the other end
converts the ISDN signals back into TCP/IP.

Thanks for any direct or indirect (e.g. URLs) help with this one, which has
been puzzling me for a while.

mvh/regards

James