Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:56:37 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
Cc:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: K5 clock speeds (Was: Re: K6-200 Has anyone ...)

Jay D. Nelson wrote:

> Well -- the upshot of all this is:
>
> I flashed the bios simply because ASUS said it was necessary. It did
> not fail. BTW -- it wasn't fear of flashing the bios -- it was a
> reluctance to disassemble the machine.

I realized after I wrote my original message that there was some
implication that people "afraid" to flash their BIOS'es were
timid.  Actually, I was wondering if there was a good reason to
be concerned that the procedure would fail.  As long as you have
the right BIOS and it is flashable then it is relatively safe.
Of course if the vendor did not make clear which BIOS file to
use then you could be in trouble.

Actually I have toasted a BIOS once.  This was a Micronics Neptune
board in an old Micron box.  I successfully flash-upgraded the board
to support plug-n-play (yes, it was an old board) but the BusLogic
controller that came with the machine stopped working.  When I tried to
restore the original BIOS it blew up supposedly because the original
BIOS was smaller.  To add insult to injury, this board had an
emergency recovery procedure involving a pre-built floppy and a
protected region of the BIOS that allowed you to restore the original
BIOS after an unsuccessful flashing.  Unfortunately, the BIOS upgrade
needed so much space they overwrote the "protected" region.  It was
a good thing I had a friend who could blow me a new Intel Flash EEPROM.

--
It's not my fault!  It's some guy named "General Protection"!
--Ratbert