Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:44:35 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Controller suggestions?

Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

   [snip]

> I'm favoring the AHA2940 family, mostly because we already have two
> FreeBSD machines running them(Identified as <Adaptec 2940 SCSI host
> adapter> rev 0, not sure what that makes them), and I'd like to keep them
> all the same.
>
> I've heard that unless bus saturation is important, the U and UW are
> actually slower than the base model, something to due with how many
> outstanding commands can be queued, if I remember correctly.  I'm
> currently favoring the AHA2940 for this reason.

You are probably referring to the difference between the A variants
(2940A, 2940AU) and the straight 2940. The 2940 can have 16 SCBs while
the A variants have only 3. I don't think it will make much of a
difference when you have just a single disk on the bus, but it has
nothing to do with the U or UW variants.

> Also, the cpu this will be on is a P6/150 w/64M Ram.  Why?  Not because
> it needs it, but because at $520 for cpu and motherboard, it's cheaper
> than a P5/166 and motherboard).
>
> Anyway, does anyone with more SCSI experience care to comment on the
> direction I'm going?
Nadav