Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:59:15 -0700
From:      brian@litzinger.com
To:        bh@epigram.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID performance/benchmarking

On %M 0, Brandon Huey <brandon@epigram.com> wrote:
> Dell PowerEdge 4200/300, 96MB RAM, 3 9GB Seagate Barracuda SCA drives
> DPT PM3334UW w/64MB cache
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.6
> DPT kernel options: DPTOPT
>                     DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE
>                     DPT_FREELIST_IS_STACK
>
> using IOZONE and Bonnie, i create a 128MB file for read/write
> benchmarking.
>
> i am aware of the performance implications of RAID-5, but I am getting
> about 2MByte/sec max write transfer rate compared with 19MByte/sec on
> reads.

In RAID 5 to write a sector requires the following:
(through not necessarily in the order specified)

read the parity sector (usually on a different drive than the target sector)
read the target sector
write the target sector
write the parity sector

while a read only requires a read of the target sector.

So generally writing takes quite a hit.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>