Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:18:03 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: making <description> optional

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:56:42PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> 60 (in words: sixty) entries in portaudit have the description `Please
> contact the FreeBSD Security Team for more information'. There are
> references, so when you care to add a quote, feel free, in fact this
> might be a job for the security team. You can frown on them as often as
> you like, the question is whether you just want to have an optional
> <description> entry as an easy to spot sign that an editor is needed, or
> if you prefer to search for <p/> and similar constructs.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  I don't see any such entries
in VuXML ... but you said `portaudit' so maybe you are talking about
your personal database?

> >However, I must admit that I have some doubt the value of the
> ><discovery> date in any case.  What I'd really like to hear are some
> >arguments for keeping it or getting rid of it!  I think it is useful
> >information of itself to many reading VuXML content, and that combined
> >with <entry> it provides a good metric about our response time.  But I
> >could be overestimating the value of it, and if it somehow puts people
> >off to need to provide this information, then maybe it loses.
>
> Oviously we have a different opinion what is useful here. I expect most
> users to be simple consumers, not security researchers. They need
> information about the serverity of a vulnerability, and maybe
> remote/local exploitability, whoever cares about the discovery date
> could check the references. Often I find the discovery date
> entertaining, but not useful.

So I'll take that as a vote for not keeping it (<discovery>).  Such
a change (dropping required content) would need to take place in a
`major' update e.g. VuXML 2.0.  We'll revisit it then, maybe someone
else will add some opinions before then.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@freebsd.org