Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:35:12 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simply impossible to format disk under current.

>>>>> "phk" == phk  <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:

phk> /dev/da2 is always writable unless you have any of the partitions
phk> open.

The error was that /dev/da2 didn't exist.  I was confused too.

fdisk da2	   # worked, displyed one slice (3) that was NetBSD
fdisk -I da2	   # error, /dev/da2 doesn't exist

... it seemed like anything that wrote to da2 would fail, but read
worked.

phk> I guess you have whacked the disk now, so I won't be able to get
phk> any debugging information.

In the process of determining that it worked with 4.7-RELEASE I did
format the disk, so I'm not sure that the disk itself is useful.

phk> In case of disk/GEOM related problems, I need the output from
phk> dmesg sysctl -b kern.geom.confxml or I won't really be able to do
phk> debugging...

I would bet that any NetBSD root disk installed by the NetBSD
installer would exhibit the same problems.  It should be easy to
duplicate.  I don't have a spare disk handy right now... but I might
be able to do this in a week or two.  I would expect that you can do
this on your bench, tho.

There wasn't anything special about the NetBSD disks ... they had just
been formatted through the install process that NetBSD does.  1.5.2, I
think.

Dave.