Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 18:08:14 -0400
From:      serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca (Serge Gagnon)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports structure and improvement suggestions

  martinko> Serge Gagnon wrote:

  +> Secondo, I think that most of the users know approximatly what this or
  +> that port do and if they have to modify their build with WITH/WITHOUT
  +> or not.  Just my point of view again.

  martinko> yes, you're basically right. fiddling with too many options at
  martinko> one time scares me, too. :)

  martinko> on the other hand, it's not that users wouldn't know what their
  martinko> ports are about. it's that they wouldn't know of switches that
  martinko> might be available for them. and no, i wouldn't agree with "if
  martinko> you don't know about it, you don't need it". ;-)

How do think that they'll know about what these ports need or not to be
built correctly if they don't know about these ports itself ?

  +> However, if such a system will be put in place, I think that the idea
  +> of asking the user once and at the beginning of the build processe is a
  +> good one. I like to start a big build then go to sleep and not thinking
  +> that my station is, perhaps, asking me something or not.

  +> I'm just scared about the fact that I can't imagine myself answering a
  +> listing of one miles long before building a port even if it's just one
  +> time at the beginning and that these options will be saved. And asking
  +> again to this same listing if I want to change these options.

  martinko> you always can define a batch mode and you won't be prompted,
  martinko> defaults will be used.

If you think that this modification is for new user, I think that you're
wrong. Re-read what I wrote above. They'll answer a lot of things that they
know nothing about and when they will finaly find that they can define a
BATCH=YES-like, this is what they'll do for sure.

--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F