Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:46:00 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unknown Program

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:28:05AM -0500, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 5.4 presently. In my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory, I
> have come across this file: '001slpd.sh'. I cannot seem to find out what
> it does or how it got there. It does not appear to be running; however,
> employing the 'status' switch produces nothing.
>
> I have tried using help, info and man without success. Perhaps someone can
> enlighten me as to this programs purpose.

That shell script is most likely installed via the net/openslp port - at
least that is the case on my system.
If you have not installed net/openslp manually it probably got installed
automatically because some other port/package depended on it.
One of the ports that depends on it is x11/kde3 which I would guess is where
you got it from.

Like most scripts in etc/rc.d its purpose is to start one or more services
running - in this case the slpd daemon.
It only actually starts slpd if you have the line

spld_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf

For more information about the etc/rc.d directory and its contents you could
read the rc(8) manpage.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson